If this year is typical, then one in four companies on the planet will suffer a compromise of its data or communications. That number is certainly low because many companies do not report, or in some cases do not know, that they have been attacked. In 2018, the average loss in a data breach was more than $7 million, and hackers earned $650 billion in stolen data and intellectual property.
We create tailored solutions for big and small companies to safeguard their data and communications against these kinds of losses and threats. We provide custom hardware, software, training, and consultation for securing your company’s communications and data at rest. Our solutions allow you to manage to your specifications - who sees your communications or even the fact that you are communicating - so that your plans and IP remain only yours. Competitors and third parties will see what you want them to see. Ridgeline builds technical and behavioral solutions to protect against threats to your data from both inside your company and out.
Our strengths are our R&D, product development speed, training, and international experience. Just as we have built solutions for the most demanding government customers, our business solutions are built to your needs and only your needs. We distinguish ourselves from our competitors by bringing unique software and hardware from conception, to design, to prototype, to functioning model in months. These solutions are created and adapted to your company’s requirements, whether they involve mobile, web, back-end, or all three. We train and maintain all our products and run a 24/7 Security Operations Center to respond to those needs.
Team Member Spotlight
What did you work on yesterday?
I was debugging an issue we were having with a secure communication app. It was a collaborative effort with a few other developers and some systems team members. It’s hard to get all the key stakeholders in the same room to run through an end-to-end test of a new system. In the end we found our next roadblock that the developers could work towards fixing.
How would you describe what you do at Ridgeline?
I do whatever the latest requirement is. This is life at a start-up! Everyone does everything until you have people dedicated to doing certain things. My role has changed a lot since I started 2.5 years ago – sometimes I write code and help people debug and sometimes I organize our efforts as a software team so we can make them repeatable. I get to help shape and define the way we write software here at Ridgeline. Managing the team means we can keep expanding and growing.
Why did you come to Ridgeline?
I was looking for a new opportunity and had a few friends who worked here, which signaled to me it was an ok place to be. I talked to the Founders -- they were looking for someone to write software. As they described the problems they were trying to solve, I realized it was what I wanted to work on. At the time they had paying customers but no software developers. My first task was to help professionalize some of the products that had been developed previously.
Why have you stayed at Ridgeline?
Ridgeline has delivered on every promise that they’ve made to me. In my interview, I said I wanted to build a team; they said they wanted that too. I’m always skeptical when people promise things but they’ve continued to deliver. Pretty early on, I said we needed to hire a lot more developers; they said go for it. They have not been put off by the things I’ve asked for; in fact, it seems like opportunities have grown more and more. I’m as excited to come to work today as I was on my first day.
What advice would you give to someone considering working at Ridgeline? Why should they do it? Why should they not?
Do it if you’re looking for excitement or don’t feel like you’re making a difference in your current role. If you take any chances in life, this should be one of them. In fact, it’s fairly low risk. It’s a fun environment, great people to be around, and there’s constant growth and change.
Don’t do it if you like having a lot of structure, appreciate policies and don’t do well with uncertainty. There’s a lot of times we realize we’re doing something we’ve never done before and we have to establish new standards. The people here now are defining these processes. Check us out in a few years if you want them already established.
What kind of things do you enjoy outside of work?
I love spending time with my wife and daughter and I also have a ton of hobbies. I’m a tinkerer and maker outside of work. I have a small laser company. I love woodworking, yardwork, and DIY projects. I like to stay really busy – I’m normally up and about all day jumping from project to project. I love building Ridgeline so a lot of it doesn’t feel like work, but I also have time for all the other things I care about. People at Ridgeline make time for what they care about and I do the same.
Life at Ridgeline
Our people matter. We know everyone says that - here’s how we prove it:
- Our 401k plan includes an automatic 3% employer contribution along with a 7% employer match, totaling a 10% company contribution.
- We have a self-managed PTO plan. As a company, we want to support a holistic and engaged lifestyle; we want you to enjoy life outside of work - and we want you to take care of yourself and the people you love when you need to. Burnout is bad for both you and us.
- We have flexible work schedules. You’ll be able to work with your supervisor to figure out what’s best for your situation (we all know the chaos of living in the DMV).
- We’ll give you $2500 each year to spend on a hobby or education. We want our people to be bursting with creativity and innovative ideas. That doesn’t happen in a vacuum! We want to support interesting endeavors and believe it pays off for us in the long run.
- We’ll give you $2000 each year to buy clothes. When you look good, you feel good. And we think it’s just kind of fun!
- We have a sweet office space that’s right on the Silver Line, with nitro cold brew on tap, sparkling water, legit snacks, and oodles of natural light. We like being here!
- We are well resourced and will make sure you have what you need to do your job well. Get the technology and training you need – we’re a learning organization.
- We’ll treat you like an adult and give you a voice. We want you to build this company with us. We’re figuring it out together and creating something special. We want you to speak up and help make this the kind of company you want to work for. We like it here and like each other.